Generating power with purpose
As the province’s leading clean power generator, Ontario Power Generation produces reliable, low-cost power using our diverse mix of generating sources. With the help of our employees, site communities and partners, we’re also working to ensure a more sustainable future, a cleaner environment, a stronger economy and more liveable communities.
See how OPG’s purpose goes beyond generating electricity.
Our generation by the numbers
In-service generating capacity in Ontario
90% + Free
Of smog and carbon emissions
40% Lower cost
Than the average of other power generators in Ontario
9,300 + Skilled
Employees supporting Ontario's economy
Safety, diversity and responsibility
As one of the largest producers of electricity in North America, OPG’s diverse, clean and low-cost portfolio includes:
- 66 hydroelectric stations
- Two nuclear stations
- One biomass facility
- One dual-fuelled oil and gas station
- One solar facility
We operate our stations in a safe, transparent and environmentally-responsible manner. This includes protecting and enhancing the local environment, supporting the provincial and local economies and helping make our site communities better places to live, work and play.
Beyond our fleet
- Eagle Creek Renewable Energy — OPG has a wholly-owned subsidiary known as Eagle Creek Renewable Energy, LLC (Eagle Creek), which owns and operates 64 hydroelectric generating stations and has minority shareholdings in 13 hydro stations and two solar facilities in the United States.
- Gas co-ownership — OPG is also a co-owner but not an operator of the Portlands Energy Centre gas-fired combined cycle generating station, and the Brighton Beach gas-fired combined cycle generating station, both located in Ontario.
- Bruce nuclear stations — OPG also owns two other nuclear stations in Ontario which are leased to Bruce Power L.P.