Value: $3,000 - $5,000
Annual Awards: up to two
We sponsor up to two awards annually, for one female and one male. The Award is valued at $3,000 for College recipients and $5,000 for University recipients. All Ontario residents who are First Nations, Inuit or Métis, and enrolled in a full-time post secondary institution in Ontario are eligible to apply. Preference will be given to applicants from Ontario communities.
This award is granted to students of Indigenous ancestry (First Nations, Métis, or Inuit) currently enrolled full-time at an accredited university or community college in Ontario in one of the following programs: engineering, law, environmental studies, business, Indigenous studies, communications, human resources, technology, trades or other disciplines related to OPG’s business.
- be in good academic standing (minimum B average);
- have strong written and oral communication skills;
- demonstrate leadership skills;
- be involved in extracurricular community/campus activities, including volunteer work;
- be Indigenous (First Nations, Inuit or Métis) with proof of ancestry as issued by the Government of Canada or other recognized authority, e.g., Métis Nation of Ontario);
- be a resident of Ontario and attend college/university in Ontario; and
- be legally eligible to work in Canada upon graduation and demonstrate an interest in working for OPG.
- Applicanst must submit an application for the John Wesley Beaver Memorial Award by the deadline: May 31, 2018.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Applications must include:
- a letter of Introduction (not more than one page);
- a completed application form, signed and dated;
- a record of academic standing (official or unofficial) from most recent academic program;
- proof of First Nation, Inuit, or Métis status, as recognized and issued by the government of Canada;
- confirmation of acceptance for fall semester is required; and
- a copy of their current resume.
Selection Process and Requirements
- To receive this Award, the applicant should not be receiving more than one other award of equal or greater value for the same academic year. Students may apply for the Award more than once over the course of their academic career, but they can only win the Award once.
- Preference will be given to non-funded students.
- All applications will be reviewed by OPG’s Native Circle Selection Committee, in collaboration with People and Culture (Human Resources) and the Corporate Citizenship Program.
- Short-listed applicants should be prepared to participate in a telephone interview.
- Upon notification as an Award winner, an official transcript must be provided to OPG within two weeks from your registrar’s office.
- Winners must be prepared to attend an award luncheon in Toronto during the month of August to receive their award (OPG will cover travel cost associated with this event at an established amount).
- Possible opportunities for student placements or future employment will be explored in follow-up discussions with Award winners.
- Relatives of Native Circle members can apply for the award. The Native Circle selection committee must ensure there is no conflict of interest, meaning there is no relation between the selection committee members and the potential applicants.
All applicants are encouraged to complete a career interest profile on jobs.opg.com. To be considered for student placements, applicants must be returning to school or require a final work term to graduate.
Spread the word. Download the John Wesley Beaver Award poster.
Please direct your completed application forms and all required documentation to:
John Wesley Beaver Memorial Award
c/o Indigenous Relations
800 Kipling Avenue
Toronto, ON M8Z 5G5