Annual Awards: up to five
Up to five annual student awards, valued at $1,000 each, offered to qualified Confederation College students of Indigenous ancestry (First Nations, Métis, and Inuit).
This award is granted to students of Indigenous ancestry (First Nations, Métis, or Inuit) currently enrolled full-time in second year in one of the following technician/technology programs: electrical, electronics, mechanical, instrumentation, power systems or in a related apprenticeship program.
- have strong oral and written communication skills;
- demonstrate leadership skills;
- provide proof of good academic standing (minimum B average);
- be involved in extra-curricular activities, including volunteer work;
- receive no more than one other award of equal or greater value in his/her second year;
- submit a completed Applicant/Nominee Information Package (see below under 'Process'); and
- be legally eligible to work in Canada upon graduation.
- The award recipient is nominated through the College’s internal awards selection process/program. The Selection Committee is comprised of two members from the Negahneewin College Board and the Chair of the Native Studies Department.
- Following nomination, the Student Awards Office provides written notification and a completed Applicant/Nominee Information Package (up to a maximum of five nominees annually) to OPG. This package must include:
- a letter of nomination/recommendation from the Student Awards Office;
- a 250-500 word overview prepared by the nominee highlighting their qualifications/interest in the OPG Negahneewin Incentive Award;
- a copy of nominee's most recent official transcript; and
- a copy of nominee's current resume listing all work, volunteer and extra-curricular activities (full-time and part-time).
- Following acceptance of the nominee(s), OPG provides the Awards Office with a letter of congratulations to each award recipient along with the accompanying award cheque to be presented to the recipient(s) at the College’s Awards Ceremony.