PLANT GROUP: Eastern Operations
DRAINAGE BASIN: Ottawa River
NEAREST POPULATION CENTRE: Renfrew (35 km (22 miles) northeast)
IN SERVICE DATE:
UNIT 1 - November 11, 1967
UNIT 2 - December 9, 1967
BUILT BY: Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario
ASSET TRANSFERRED TO ONTARIO POWER GENERATION: April 1, 1999
NUMBER OF UNITS: 2
CAPACITY: 170 MW
Mountain Chute Generating Station (GS), which is located in Greater Madawaska Township in Renfrew County, produces 170 megawatts (MW) of clean, renewable electricity. This is enough electricity to power about 170,000 homes.
Developed in the mid 1960s, this large scale project brought an economic boom to the area, employing 500 people at the peak of construction. About 8,500 acres of land was flooded to create a reservoir, allowing water to be held back and used at times of the day when electricity demand is higher. The reservoir, called Centennial and Black Donald Lakes, covers the abandoned Black Donald Mining settlement and graphite mine which was closed in 1947.
As with the operations at all of our generating stations, OPG is considerate of the environment and other users of the waterways. Our technicians manage water levels and flows according to the approved Madawaska River Water Management Plan
. The amount of water available for generation depends on environmental needs, minimum and maximum water level requirements, and precipitation.
Mountain Chute GS is part of OPG’s clean energy portfolio which is more than 99 per cent free of greenhouse gas and smog emissions.