DRAINAGE BASIN: Ottawa River
NEAREST POPULATION CENTRE: Ottawa (56 km southeast)
IN SERVICE DATE:
UNITS 2-5 - October 1931
UNITS 6-9 - October 1932
BUILT BY: Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario
ASSET TRANSFERRED TO ONTARIO POWER GENERATION: April 1, 1999
NUMBER OF UNITS: 8
CAPACITY: 192 MW
Chats Falls Generating Station (GS) has been operating on the Ottawa River for more than 80 years, providing 192 megawatts of clean, renewable electricity, enough to power nearly 200,000 homes.
The site is located in Fitzroy Harbour, which straddles Quebec and Ontario. The station’s name is derived from the French word for cat because it was built on the old Chats Falls, which bore a resemblance to cat’s paws.
Planning for the station’s construction began in the early 20th century by the Chats Falls Power Company, later known as the Ottawa Valley Power Company. After the surveys and engineering were complete in 1929, construction began and the first four of the eight units were placed in service by the fall of 1931. The remaining four units were placed in service the following year.
Chats Falls GS recently underwent a significant refurbishment to improve both safety and performance. This refurbishment ensures many more decades of reliable power generation.
As with the operations at all of our generating stations, OPG is considerate of the environment and other users of the waterways. Our technicians manage water levels and flows according to approved water management plans. The amount of water available for generation depends on environmental needs, minimum and maximum water level requirements, and precipitation.
Chats Falls GS generates clean, renewable electricity 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and is part of OPG’s clean energy portfolio which is more than 99 per cent free of greenhouse gas and smog emissions.