DRAINAGE BASIN: Ottawa River
NEAREST POPULATION CENTRE: Renfrew (29 km north)
IN SERVICE DATE:
UNIT 1 - Aug. 6, 1942
UNIT 2 - Aug. 25, 1942
UNIT 3 - Sept. 22, 1968
UNIT 4 - Oct. 10, 1968
BUILT BY: Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario
ASSET TRANSFERRED TO ONTARIO POWER GENERATION: April 1, 1999
NUMBER OF UNITS: 4
CAPACITY: 176 MW
Barrett Chute Generating Station (GS), which is located outside of the Town of Calabogie, produces 176 megawatts of clean, renewable electricity, or enough to power about 176,000 homes. The station is maintained by a skilled team who also service Mountain Chute GS and Calabogie GS, as well as two water control structures on the Upper Madawaska River. Like all stations on the Madawaska River, Barrett Chute GS is operated remotely.
In operation since August 1942, the station is named in honour of one of the early settlers in the community, Barrett Chute was the first power development on the Madawaska River. Its construction tamed the rapids that once fed a thriving lumber industry, and created new, deeper lakes, which set a new path for the Madawaska as a tourism hub, attracting visitors from around the world to canoe and enjoy.
To meet growing electricity demand, two additional units were added in 1968. Additional investment over the years has ensured the station continues to provide reliable, renewable power 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
As with the operations at all of our generating stations, OPG is considerate of the environment and other users of the waterways. Our technicians manage water levels and flows according to the approved Madawaska River Water Management Plan. The amount of water available for generation depends on environmental needs, minimum and maximum water level requirements, and precipitation.
Barrett Chute GS is part of OPG’s clean energy portfolio which is more than 99 per cent free of smog and carbon emissions.