DRAINAGE BASIN: Lake Superior
NEAREST POPULATION CENTRE: Nipigon (39 km south)
IN SERVICE DATE:
UNIT 1 - July 17, 1950
UNIT 2 - September 15, 1950
UNIT 3 - September 30, 1954
UNIT 4 - December 30, 1954
BUILT BY: Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario
ASSET TRANSFERRED TO ONTARIO POWER GENERATION: April 1, 1999
NUMBER OF UNITS: 4
CAPACITY: 144 MW
Pine Portage Generating Station (GS) is a hydroelectric power station on the Nipigon River. The station’s four units can generate up to 144 megawatts; enough energy to power about 140,000 homes each year. Like all the hydroelectric stations in our Northwest Operations, Pine Portage GS is controlled from our Northwest Operations Control Centre in Thunder Bay.
Pine Portage GS is the third and largest hydro power plant along the Nipigon River. The station was built to expand the industrial importance of the Lakehead area; which at the time was one of Canada's largest pulp and paper, and grain shipping centres. Forgan Lake, located south of Lake Nipigon, was created during construction of Pine Portage GS. The new lake was named after David Forgan, Director of Construction for the Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario.
As with the operations at all of our generating stations, OPG is considerate of the environment and other users of the waterways. Our technicians manage water levels and flows according to approved water management plans. The amount of water available for generation depends on environmental needs, minimum and maximum water level requirements, and precipitation.
Pine Portage GS generates clean, renewable electricity 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and is part of OPG’s clean energy portfolio which is more than 99 per cent free of smog and carbon emissions.