DRAINAGE BASIN: Hudson/James Bay
NEAREST POPULATION CENTRE: Kapuskasing (96 km southwest)
IN SERVICE DATE:
UNIT 1 - Sept. 26, 1961
UNIT 2 - Oct. 24, 1961
UNIT 3 - July 30, 1963
UNIT 4 - Oct. 1, 1963
BUILT BY: Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario
ASSET TRANSFERRED TO ONTARIO POWER GENERATION: April 1, 1999
NUMBER OF UNITS: 4
CAPACITY: 182 MW
Otter Rapids Generating Station (GS), located on the Abitibi River midway between Cochrane and Moosonee, has been providing clean, renewable power to Ontario since 1961. The station’s four generating units, which are operated remotely from our control centre in Timmins, provide enough electricity to power about 60,000 homes.
Work on the Otter Rapids station began in the spring of 1958 and as with many of the hydroelectric stations in northern Ontario, construction meant establishing a ‘hydro colony’ where workers and their families could both live and work in a remote location.
The Otter Rapids work site was accessible primarily by rail but also through a 9.6 km network of roads. Nearly 1,000 people lived in the camp and their children attended a four-room school. The camp also featured a bank, post office, snack bar, grocery store, billiards hall, bowling alley, curling rink, hockey rink, fire hall and auditorium.
As with the operations at all of our generating stations, OPG is considerate of the environment and other users of the waterways. Our technicians manage water levels and flows according to approved water management plans. The amount of water available for generation depends on environmental needs, minimum and maximum water level requirements, and precipitation.
Otter Rapids GS generates clean, renewable electricity 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and is part of OPG’s clean energy portfolio, which is more than 99 per cent free of smog and carbon emissions.