DRAINAGE BASIN: Ottawa River
NEAREST POPULATION CENTRE: New Liskeard (54 km northwest)
IN SERVICE DATE: 1910
ACQUIRED BY HYDRO-ELECTRIC POWER COMMISSION OF ONTARIO: Nov. 30, 1944
FROM: Northern Ontario Power Company
ASSET TRANSFERRED TO ONTARIO POWER GENERATION: April 1, 1999
NUMBER OF UNITS: 4
CAPACITY: 10 MW
Matabitchuan Generating Station (GS) is located on the Matabitchuan River 54 km southeast of the New Liskeard. Completed in 1910, the 10 megawatt (MW) station continues to provide clean, renewable power to Ontarians as it has for over a century. Matabitchuan GS produces enough electricity to power over 3,000 homes each year.
In the first decade of the twentieth century, an independent entrepreneur named E.A. Walberg recognized the potential of the Matabitchuan River as a source of hydroelectric power and spearheaded construction of Matabitchuan GS in 1910. The station remained privately owned and operated by the Mines Power Company and the British Canadian Power Company, supplying power to the Keely mine at Silver Centre, until 1944 when it was purchased by the Hydro Electric Power Commission of Ontario.
In 2012, OPG made major station upgrades to replace two original steel penstocks (large pipes that convey water to the turbines from the head-pond), improve the concrete structure where water enters the penstock, and install a new head-gate to control water flow into the station. The new, larger penstock is partially buried, and measures 1.5 metres in diameter and 380 metres in length. These upgrades, along with ongoing preventive maintenance, will ensure the station continues to provide reliable power 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
As with the operations at all of our generating stations, OPG is considerate of the environment and other users of the waterways. Our technicians manage water levels and flows according to approved water management plans. The amount of water available for generation depends on environmental needs, minimum and maximum water level requirements, and precipitation.
Matabitchuan GS is part of OPG’s clean energy portfolio which is more than 99 per cent free of greenhouse gas and smog emissions.