DRAINAGE BASIN: Hudson/James Bay
NEAREST POPULATION CENTRE: Timmins (48 km southeast)
IN SERVICE DATE: Nov. 21, 2010
ORIGINAL IN SERVICE DATE: 1923
ACQUIRED BY HYDRO-ELECTRIC POWER COMMISSION OF ONTARIO: Nov. 1, 1944
FROM: Northern Ontario Power Company
ASSET TRANSFERRED TO ONTARIO POWER GENERATION: April 1, 1999
NUMBER OF UNITS: 2
CAPACITY: 14 MW
Lower Sturgeon Generating Station (GS) is located on the Mattagami River about 48 km northwest of Timmins. Built in 1923 as a 6 megawatt (MW) station, it was replaced by a 14 MW station in 2010 which now produces enough electricity to power 6,700 homes each year. The station is operated remotely from Timmins, Ontario.
Construction of the new station was part of the $300 million Upper Mattagami Hound Chute Project, which also involved redevelopment of Sandy Falls GS and Wawaitin GS on the Mattagami River, and Hound Chute GS on the Montreal River. All four stations were returned to service on time and on budget, providing 44 megawatts of clean, reliable hydroelectricity to Ontario. This electricity output is more than double the capacity of the original stations, while using the same amount of water.
As with the operations at all of our generating stations, OPG is considerate of the environment and other users of the waterways. Water levels and flows are managed by technicians according to approved water management plans. The amount of water available for generation depends on environmental needs, minimum and maximum water level requirements, and precipitation.
Lower Sturgeon GS generates clean, renewable electricity 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and is part of OPG’s clean energy portfolio which is more than 99 per cent free of greenhouse gas and smog emissions.