DRAINAGE BASIN: Lake Ontario
NEAREST POPULATION CENTRE: Campbellford (1.6 km north)
IN SERVICE DATE:
UNIT 1 - Aug. 22, 1922
UNIT 2 - Sept. 2, 1922
UNIT 3 - 1926
ACQUIRED BY HYDRO-ELECTRIC POWER COMMISSION OF ONTARIO: 1937 (Unit 3)
FROM: Quinte And Trent Valley Power Company
ASSET TRANSFERRED TO ONTARIO POWER GENERATION: April 1, 1999
NUMBER OF UNITS: 3
CAPACITY: 10 MW
Ranney Falls Generating Station (GS) is located on the Trent River less than 2 km from Campbellford, Ontario. The three-unit station generates 10 MW of clean, renewable electricity; enough energy to power about 9,000 homes each year.
Development of the Trent Canal began in 1833 to connect small pioneer settlements along the Trent and Otonabee rivers, and on the Kawartha Lakes, and support the emerging lumber industry. The Canal soon grew to be an important source of waterpower, as well as a holiday and tourist playground.
The Ontario government acquired the rights to the Ranney Falls site and others when it purchased the Seymour Power Company on March 9, 1916. Six years later, the station’s first two units went into service. A third unit known as the “Pup”, or G3, residing in a separate, smaller powerhouse came online in 1926. The “Pup” reached its end of life in 2014; construction is now underway to replace this small unit with a more powerful and efficient 10 MW generating unit and powerhouse.
As with the operations at all of our generating stations, OPG is considerate of the environment and other users of the waterways. Our technicians manage water levels and flows according to approved water management plans. The amount of water available for generation depends on environmental needs, minimum and maximum water level requirements, and precipitation.
Ranney Falls GS generates clean, renewable electricity 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and is part of OPG’s clean energy portfolio, which is more than 99 per cent free of smog and carbon emissions.