NORTHWEST PLANT GROUP
Ontario Power Generation's Northwest Plant Group operates eleven hydroelectric generating stations on five river systems: the Aquasabon, English, Kaministiquia, Nipigon, and Winnipeg rivers. These stations provide clean, low-cost, renewable and reliable source of power to Ontarians year-round. Their combined capacity is over 680 megawatts (MW). The plant group headquarters is located in Thunder Bay Ontario, where the operations of the eleven plants are controlled.
The plant group has a long history dating back to the late 1800s. In 1896, a year before Queen Victoria celebrated her Diamond Jubilee, a resident of northern Ontario, E.S. Jennison approached the provincial government seeking approval of a project to develop waterpower in the Kaministiquia River near Kakabeka Falls. The development was the first of its kind in northern Ontario. Jennison obtained the approvals to build a power station. The rights were purchased by the Kaministiquia Power Company, who brought the plans to fruition. Units one and two at Kakabeka Falls GS first produced power in 1906 to supply the growing towns of Prince Arthur and Fort William. Since 1906 stations in Northwestern Ontario have provided clean, reliable power to the province of Ontario.