INDIAN CHUTE GENERATING STATION
PLANT GROUP: Northeast Plant Group
DRAINAGE BASIN: Ottawa River
NEAREST POPULATION CENTRE: Elk Lake (16 KM (10 Miles) Southeast)
IN SERVICE DATE:
UNIT 1 - July 1923
UNIT 2 - March 1924
ACQUIRED BY HYDRO-ELECTRIC POWER COMMISSION OF ONTARIO: November 30, 1944
FROM: Northern Ontario Power Company
Asset Transferred to Ontario Power Generation: April 1, 1999
NUMBER OF UNITS: 2
CONTROL: Remote from Porcupine TS
The Indian Chute plant was built by the Great Northern Power Company. The company generated power at 60 cycle which was transmitted to the Porcupine area. The properties at Porcupine and Night Hawk were transferred to the 25 cycle system and the line dismantled in 1927. This avoided a duplication of distributing circuits in that area where an ample supply of 25 cycle power was available. The power from Indian Chute was then transmitted to Kirkland Lake in 1927 and the lines operated in parallel with the system there of the same frequency.
The Great Northern Power Company amalgamated with the Northern Ontario Power Company in December 1928.
The Commission bought out the Northern Ontario Power Company on November 30, 1944.
Camp construction included the building of cookery and bunk camps for 150 men, water system and fire protection with a 13 638 liter (30,000 gallon) wood stave tank on a 12 m (40 ft) tower. The pumping plant consisted of two steam driven duplex pumps.