INTERNATIONAL CONTROL DAM
The International Niagara Control Works (INCW) was constructed in the 1950s as part of a program of remedial works on the Niagara River that were designed to control the volume and distribution of flow over the Falls. The program included excavations at each end of the Horseshoe Falls to ensure an unbroken "curtain" of water over the crest and construction of the INCW about 1.5 kilometres upstream from the Falls.
Jointly designed by the US Army Corps of Engineers and Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario, the INCW was approved by the International Joint Commission in 1953. The first stage was completed in 1957. It was 456 metres long and had 13 sluices. In 1961 five sluices were added bringing the total length of the structure to 615 metres. Each sluice is 30.7 metres wide.
According to international treaty flow over the Falls must be at least 1,416 cubic metres per second at all times. During daylight hours between April 1 and October 31 flow over the Falls must be at least 2,832 cubic metres per second. The International Niagara Control Board monitors operation of the INCW.
Today the INCW is a joint works of the New York Power Authority and Ontario Power Generation. It is operated and maintained by Niagara Plant Group employees.