Sir Adam Beck Pump Generating Station
The 174 megawatt Sir Adam Beck Pump Generating Station and its 300-hectare reservoir were constructed concurrent with the Sir Adam Beck II Generating Station.
Water diverted to the Sir Adam Beck generating complex is typically pumped into the reservoir at night so it can be used to generate electricity during subsequent periods of high electricity demand. Six mixed-flow variable-pitch reversible pump-turbines are installed at the pump generating station. The six pumps are capable, in a period of about eight hours, of filling the reservoir.
The pumped-storage scheme enables more effective use than could otherwise be made of the water that is available for power production under the Niagara Diversion Treaty of 1950. It offers a method for translating what would be surplus energy at times of low demand into primary energy at times of high demand. The change over from turbine to pumping sequence is accomplished in a matter of minutes and occurs several times each day.