On June 3, OPG received word the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) approved our request to remove the hold point from the Pickering licence. This authorizes OPG to proceed with operation of the Pickering station up to 247,000 equivalent full power hours. The station’s current operating licence expires in August 2018.
In August 2013, the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) issued a five-year operating licence for OPG’s Pickering Nuclear Generating Station. In the record of proceedings, the Commission required that OPG meet certain requirements to lift a “hold point” that had been established. The hold point required that OPG provide a technical basis to demonstrate that the Pickering station can be operated safely beyond 210,000 effective full power hours of operation. These requirements related primarily to fitness for service of the fuel channels, and completion of additional probabilistic safety assessment work.
OPG completed extensive studies to demonstrate that Pickering Nuclear can be safely operated beyond the established hold point and meet the CNSC’s requirements.
At a hearing in Ottawa on May 7, 2014, the CNSC considered OPG’s request to lift the hold point along with submissions from the public.
Below are documents supporting OPG's request:
- Apr. 30, 2014 – OPG Letter to CNSC: OPG Material and List of Presenters for Hold Point Removal Public Hearing–May 7, 2014 (PDF)
- Mar. 21, 2014 – OPG Letter to CNSC: Written Submission – CNSC Public Hearing May 7, 2014 – Pickering Operating Licence Condition 16.3 Hold Point (PDF)
- Mar. 4, 2014 – CNSC letter to OPG: Approach to Fitness for Service Assessment for Pressure Tubes - New Action Item 2014-0PG-4782 (PDF)
- Feb. 3, 2014 – OPG letter to the CNSC: Request to be Placed on the May 7/8,v2014 Commission Hearing Agenda -Pickering Operating Licence Condition 16.3 "Hold Point" (PDF)
- Jan. 10, 2014 – OPG letter to the CNSC: Pickering - OPG Strategy to Address the Probabilistic Risk Assessment Requirements in the Licence Conditions Handbook Related to the Licence Hold Point on Pickering 5-8 Pressure Tube Life (PDF)
- Oct. 24, 2013 – CNSC letter to OPG: Pickering Units 1 to 8: Closure of Pre-requisite Release Criteria 4, 5, 6, and 7 of the Regulatory Hold Point -Licence Conditions Handbook Section 16.3. (PDF)
- Jul. 12, 2013 – CNSC letter to OPG: Status Update of Work to Address Expected Changes in Pressure Tube Fracture Toughness at Pickering NGS (PDF)