DRAINAGE BASIN: Ottawa River
NEAREST POPULATION CENTRE: Arnprior (13 km northeast)
IN SERVICE DATE:
UNIT 1 - Sept. 21, 1948
UNIT 2 - Sept. 28, 1948
UNIT 3 - Oct. 28, 1948
UNIT 4 - July 1969
UNIT 5 - Aug. 1969
BUILT BY: Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario
ASSET TRANSFERRED TO ONTARIO POWER GENERATION: April 1, 1999
NUMBER OF UNITS: 5
CAPACITY: 182 MW
Stewartville Generating Station (GS) was among the first hydroelectric facilities built in the Ontario. Capable of producing 66 megawatts (MW) of clean, renewable electricity, the station was upgraded with two additional units in 1969, more than doubling its capacity to 182 MW. Today, Stewartville GS generates enough electricity to power over 180,000 homes.
Construction of the station, which started in 1945, revitalized the local community and at peak, employed more than 8,000 people. The station contains enough concrete to build a standard sidewalk 1,741 km long, which is roughly the distance from Ottawa to Winnipeg.
The Madawaska River played a significant role in the history and development of the Ottawa Valley. Hydroelectric development on the river drove growth as communities flourished and recreational opportunities were realized.
OPG also operates Barrett Chute GS, Calabogie GS, Mountain Chute GS and Arnprior GS on the Madawaska River.
As with the operations at all of our generating stations, OPG is considerate of the environment and other users of the waterways. Our technicians manage water levels and flows according to the approved Madawaska River Water Management Plan. The amount of water available for generation depends on environmental needs, minimum and maximum water level requirements, and precipitation.
Stewartville GS is part of OPG’s clean energy portfolio which is more than 99 per cent free of greenhouse gas and smog emissions.