DRAINAGE BASIN: Ottawa River
NEAREST POPULATION CENTRE: Renfrew (16 km south)
IN SERVICE DATE:
UNITS 1-2 - 1950
UNITS 3-8 - 1951
BUILT BY: Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario
ASSET TRANSFERRED TO ONTARIO POWER GENERATION: April 1, 1999
NUMBER OF UNITS: 8
CAPACITY: 144 MW
Chenaux Generating Station (GS) takes its name from the French plural word for “channel,” a reference to the powerful rapids the facility has harnessed to generate clean, renewable electricity. Located along the Ottawa River in Horton Township, the eight unit station can generate enough electricity to power nearly 150,000 homes.
Construction of the station, which employed up to 1,000 people at peak, began in 1948 and included a concrete pour large enough to build a 1,400-kilomentre sidewalk. The units were placed into service between November 1950 and November 1951. Construction of Chenaux GS, Des Joachims GS and Otto Holden GS were all post-World War II projects that precipitated an economic boom for their local economy.
As with the operations at all of our generating stations, OPG is considerate of the environment and other users of the waterways. Our technicians manage water levels and flows according to approved water management plans. The amount of water available for generation depends on environmental needs, minimum and maximum water level requirements, and precipitation.
Chenaux GS generates clean, renewable electricity 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and is part of OPG’s clean energy portfolio which is more than 99 per cent free of greenhouse gas and smog emissions.