PLANT GROUP: Northeast Plant Group
DRAINAGE BASIN: Ottawa River
NEAREST POPULATION CENTRE: North Cobalt (35 km (22 miles) northwest)
IN SERVICE DATE: 1971
BUILT BY: Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario
ASSET TRANSFERRED TO ONTARIO POWER GENERATION: April 1, 1999
NUMBER OF UNITS: 2
CAPACITY: 274 MW
The Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario took over the operation of the hydroelectric plants on the Montreal River in 1944, and in 1960 and 1965 carried out hydraulic and geological investigations in the Notch area to determine the feasibility of developing additional power. Each time construction was set aside in favour of more desirable sites, but in 1967 Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario decided to proceed with the Lower Notch development.
On Oct. 19, 1973, Provincial Government Minister Darcy McKeough officially dedicated the Lower Notch station. Designed to meet the increasing need for electrical power in northeastern Ontario, Lower Notch was the fifth and last station built by the Commission on the historic Montreal River.
- The Lower Notch station was built as a peaking station.
- The Colony - During construction, camp facilities were designed for the comfort and convenience of up to 600 employees for a period of three years. The camp was equipped with a recreation hall, cafeteria, first aid building, ambulance, fire hall, service station, barbershop, laundromat, single male employee accommodations and a single women's housing complex.
- The combination of good food and a complete range of modern conveniences provided a home-like environment.
- In addition to the single labour camp, a fully serviced and landscaped town site with 15 portable prefabricated homes, 25 trailers and a school was established adjacent to the site.