DRAINAGE BASIN: Ottawa River
NEAREST POPULATION CENTRE: Cobalt (9.6 km north)
IN SERVICE DATE: Unit 1, 2 - Dec. 7, 2010
ORIGINAL IN SERVICE DATE: Unit 1-3, 1910. Unit 4 – 1911.
ACQUIRED BY HYDRO-ELECTRIC POWER COMMISSION OF ONTARIO: Nov. 30, 1944
FROM: Northern Ontario Power Company
ASSET TRANSFERRED TO ONTARIO POWER GENERATION: April 1, 1999
NUMBER OF UNITS: 4
CAPACITY: 9 MW
Hound Chute Generating Station (GS) is located on the Montreal River about 10 km south of Cobalt. Built in 1910 as a 3 megawatt (MW) station, it was replaced by a 9 MW station in 2010 which now produces enough electricity to power 5,000 homes each year. The station is operated remotely from Timmins, Ontario.
The site was originally developed at the turn of the 20th century. Cobalt Power Company was granted permission to construct and operate a power station for the “purposes of light, heat and power.” Preliminary investigations and plans were made in 1906 and 1907, and construction took place from 1908 until 1910.
Construction of the new station was part of the $300 million Upper Mattagami project, which also involved redevelopment of Sandy Falls GS, Wawaitin GS and Lower Sturgeon GS on the Mattagami River. All four stations were returned to service on time and on budget, providing 44 megawatts of clean, reliable hydroelectricity to Ontario. This electricity output is more than double the capacity of the original stations, while using the same amount of water.
As with the operations at all of our generating stations, OPG is considerate of the environment and other users of the waterways. Our technicians manage water levels and flows according to approved water management plans. The amount of water available for generation depends on environmental needs, minimum and maximum water level requirements, and precipitation.
Hound Chute GS generates clean, renewable electricity 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and is part of OPG’s clean energy portfolio which is more than 99 per cent free of greenhouse gas and smog emissions.