DRAINAGE BASIN: Ottawa River
NEAREST POPULATION CENTRE: Elk Lake (16 km southeast)
IN SERVICE DATE:
UNIT 1 - July 1923
UNIT 2 - March 1924
ACQUIRED BY HYDRO-ELECTRIC POWER COMMISSION OF ONTARIO: Nov. 30, 1944
FROM: Northern Ontario Power Company
ASSET TRANSFERRED TO ONTARIO POWER GENERATION: April 1, 1999
NUMBER OF UNITS: 2
CAPACITY: 3 MW
Chute Generating Station (GS) is a small two-unit, three megawatt (MW) plant located on the Montreal River, 16 km northwest of Elk Lake. The station is operated remotely out of OPG’s control room in Timmins and produces enough electricity to power about 1,000 homes each year.
Chute GS is small, but has a long history. Built by the Great Northern Power Company, which amalgamated with the Northern Ontario Power Company in December 1928, it was taken over by Ontario Hydro in 1944. The station was transferred to OPG in 1999.
In the 1920s, travelling to the plant was no easy task. Workers took a train from New Liskeard to Elk Lake, and then travelled by boat several hours up the Montreal River. Today the station is accessible by road.
As with the operations at all of our generating stations, OPG is considerate of the environment and other users of the waterways. Our technicians manage water levels and flows according to approved water management plans. The amount of water available for generation depends on environmental needs, minimum and maximum water level requirements, and precipitation.
Chute GS generates clean, renewable electricity 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and is part of OPG’s clean energy portfolio which is more than 99 per cent free of greenhouse gas and smog emissions.